Day 33. Charlestown to Fowey, 12 October 2025.

 The harbour looked slightly better at high tide when I left soon after 10 am.



The first part of the walk is rather urban and industrial, past Carlyon Bay and then taking a diversion inland to avoid the china clay drying works and docks at Par. It was a relief to escape onto the beach at Par Sands and back to some more typical coast path walking past the attractive little fishing village of Polkerris with its small harbour and a chance to pick up a coffee and cake.
 
 
The next landmark is Gribbin Head with its huge red and white daymark tower

 
and a prospect of the rest of the walk towards Fowey. 

The old fortifications at St Catherine's Point, overlooking the estuary and looking upriver to Fowey.


On the way into Fowey I passed this beach , Readymoney Cove. Time for a swim.


The author Daphne du Maurier lived in Fowey and this memorial.sculpture ('The Rook with a Book') sits on the quay.  
 
 
 
I was staying in a pub in town - when I arrived there was some rather noisy music but fortunately it didnt last long. I met up with Norman and Charmian after they survived the challenge of driving into the town centre, and it was a nice change to have company for dinner with rather than eat on my own.
 
Distance today, 23 km. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

When I reached 70 in December 2019 I needed a little challenge and decided to try and walk the complete South West Coast path from Minehead ...