It was another grand morning and I took the open top bus from Newquay back to Porthcothan. The coast south from here to Mawgan Porth passes above the spectacular rock formations at Bedruthan Steps; the beach is now closed due to elf'n'safety but that didn't seem to deter the crowds milling around on the cliff top.
The official coast path has a long urban section through Newquay but with low tide I was able to avoid the first section by following the beaches, though the downside was a very steep climb back up by the harbour. That was the end of the stage but I had plenty of time and thought that I might as well carry on,
The tour of Newquay continued round Towan Head, across Fistral Beach and through Pentire to a cafe above the River Gannel.
The SWCP guide lists four different options for crossing the river, some of which involve a sizeable detour, but at low tide it was just a short stroll across this footbridge. In fact the river was so low that I could have easily waded across. From the far side a short walk took me up to Crantock village where I could catch a bus right back to my AirBnB.
Distance today, 24 km.



No comments:
Post a Comment