Day 9. Clovelly to Hartland Quay, 20 February 2023.

 The next three days were to be centred around Bude. The drive down was a bit more stressed than I had hoped due to a road closure that Google seemed unaware of, but I made it in time to catch the 9.20 bus to Hartland, where the Cornwall and Devon buses are timed to meet, giving a quick connection to Clovelly where I had left off almost thee months ago.

The first section goes through the wooded grounds of the Clovelly Court estate, passing this Angels Wings shelter.

 
After climbing up to Gallantary Bower I followed an alternative path to find this wooden bungalow, in a great position on the cliff top overlooking the foreshore pinnacle of Blackchurch Rock. 
 

After a very steep descent to Mouth Mill I wandered onto the beach for a selfie with Blackchurch Rock in the background. There are some classic climbs on the seaward facing slab; Norman and I had climbed three routes here in 2014.

Now the route emerged from the woodland with some fine open cliff top walking to the lighthouse at Hartland Point and a change of direction for west to south. This signpost showed 106 miles completed and 524 miles to Poole. I could only follow its advice to 'Be inspired, keep walking'.

 

 

The memorial plaque is to the Glenart Castle, a hospital ship that was torpedoed by a German U-boat in 1918 with the loss of 153 lives.

Three miles of dramatic coastal scenery took me from Hartland Point to Hartland Quay, which consists of a hotel, a few outbuildings and a car park at the end of a minor road. It's a wonderful location, looking across to the shark's fin pinnacles of Screda Point. 

For walkers like me, it is good that the hotel has not been upgraded to a swanky 'restaurant with rooms' or gastropub charging £300 a night for B&B. Everything is very simple and friendly and reasonably priced. I paid £82 for B&B (in a room with this view) and a pub meal. Though that didn't include a free beer that the landlord gave me as the shower in my room wasn't working and I had to move to another room.

Distance today, 18 km. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

When I reached 70 in December 2019 I needed a little challenge and decided to try and walk the complete South West Coast path from Minehead ...