The B&B didn't serve breakfast but gave you free run of the kitchen and provided everything to make your own.This had the advantage that I could get up and away early. The morning was mostly dry but it had rained heavily overnight, and the path often took a narrow trail between abundant wet vegetation so that it was impossible to stay dry. The ideal clothing would have been to copy the Naked Rambler but I was not bold enough for that, and my shorts and socks were soon soaked.
At Porthallow I paused for a selfie by the marker for the half way point on the coast path and soon came to the first of the the many river crossings on the South Coast - Gillan Creek. The SWCP Guide claimed that there were stepping stones exposed for around 3 hours around low water but although the tide was almost out they were nowhere to be seen.
A few walkers were milling around looking at the river and wondering what to do. Upstream from this photo the river split into two channels which didn't look too deep so I removed boots, socks and trousers and waded across through water that was up to just above my knees.
I had vaguely thought of trying a double stage by continuing to Falmouth, but the ferry delay put paid to that so I walked up the hill to Trebah, took a bus to Falmouth and train to Truro before driving home.
Distance today, 17 km.




No comments:
Post a Comment