Day 18. Perranport to Portreath, 17 November 2024.

 I left the car in Perranporth; even though it was now mid November the weather was rather better than when I was here back in July. Overlooking the beach is this sundial that was commissioned to mark the millenium in 2000. It is supposed to show Cornish time - 20 minutes behind GMT. 

 The view back along Perran Sands to Penhale Point on the previous leg of the path where I was in July.

 After passing St Agnes Head the path heads south, with lots of evidence of the tin mining industry that once dominated this area. 

 

A low tide alternative walk along the beach just before Porthtowan.

In Porthtowan I noticed this plaque and graffiti dedicated to George Eustice, the Tory MP for this area and Environment Minister.


This is the local beach the protesters were wanting to keep free of sewage.

From Porthtowan the walk is mostly gentle, apart from this steep descent into the valley called Sally's Bottom. 

Portreath must have been a very busy port during the heyday of the local mining industry and still has a large harbour. It could have been very attractive if they hadnt built a 1960s housing estate right next to the harbour. Perhaps the locals didn't want to be overrun with tourists like Port Isaac or St Ives.  I had booked a room in the local pub but they were not serving food as it was a quiz night, so I headed for a cafe by the harbour where they served the largest portions of fish and chips in Cornwall.  

 Distance today, 19 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

When I reached 70 in December 2019 I needed a little challenge and decided to try and walk the complete South West Coast path from Minehead ...