Day 19. Portreath to Hayle, 18 November 2024

 Heavy rain was forecast for later today so I was away just before 9 am, hoping to get to Hayle in the dry. Portreath beach was not very inviting on this dull morning.

 

 Soon after leaving Portreath the path passes above an impressive zawn - Ralph's Cupboard, named after a legendary giant Wrath (or Ralph).


Just before Godrevy Point you pass above Mutton Cove, with a few dozen seals hauled out on the beach below.

After Godrevy the route turns south and the terrain changes from rocky cliffs to sand dunes. I followed the beach for most of the way into Hayle, arriving at 1pm and having achieved my main objective of staying dry. The rain started while I was on the train to Truro and got heavier during a bus journey back to Perranporth. I picked up the car and drove via Penzance Tesco to the Count House (the Climbers' Club hut at Bosigran) . It was no surprise to find that I had the place to myself.

Distance today, 19 km. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

When I reached 70 in December 2019 I needed a little challenge and decided to try and walk the complete South West Coast path from Minehead ...