Day 26. Porthleven to The Lizard, 10 June 2025.

 My B&B hosts were a retired couple who had just one spare room and only allowed one night stays, so were set up for coast path walkers. We had a good chat over breakfast before I headed south. On the way out of the village I passed Mott House which I later discovered could be rented as a holiday home. Maybe we should arrange a stay there.

This was a great walk with lots of interest and some fine secenery. The first landmark is the beach at Loe bar, hard going on loose gravel, and with this memorial on the far side.. 


Soon after comes Gunwalloe Church Cove, with a tiny church almost hidden in the bushes just behind the beach.
After passing Poldhu, this obelisk marks the site from which Marconi sent the first transatlantic telegraph (to St Johns in Newfoundland) in 1901. There is a visitor centre in a small wooden hut but it was only open in the afternoon and I was too early.
 
 
The path from here to Kynance Cove is a wonderful stroll above high cliffs. The promontory in the second photo is The Horse (yet another climbing venue).
 
As expected, Kynance Cove was pretty busy  

 
before I turned the corner to head east at Lizard Point. I followed the coast past the lighthouse to Housel Bay, then headed inland to Lizard Town where I had booked a room in the pub.
 
 

 In the village there was a tiny shellfish bar so I placed my order for crab and chips, picked up a pint from the pub next door, and sat outside eating dinner in the evening sunshine.
 
Distance today, 25 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction

When I reached 70 in December 2019 I needed a little challenge and decided to try and walk the complete South West Coast path from Minehead ...